Sunday, June 20, 2010

Watts Dantzler following father's footsteps to UGA

When 6'7" 330 pound Watts Dantzler announced that he would be making his verbal commitment on father's day my heart knew that he would pick Georgia. Danny Dantzler played OL for Georgia from 1971 to 1973. In February of 2009 he died of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease). Watts recently made the decision to announce his choice of college on Father's Day in order to honor his father.

Dantzler is ranked as a 4-Star recruit and the #19 OL prospect in his class by scout.com. Rivals lists him as a 3-Star talent and the #34 ranked OL and ESPN has him as their 12th ranked OT. Watts was offerred a scholarship (according to Rivals) by Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami (Fl), Mississippi, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Stanford.

Dantzler is an interesting guy. He played track and basketball from his high school. He also played on the JV Tennis team, because he was bored and wanted to stay active in the spring. 

Some words from Watts Dantzler during his emotional Press Conference

“Georgia was the best school for me because basically I felt at home there. I’ve been going there since I was a little kid and always dreamed of putting on the red and black. Hopefully soon that will be a reality....One thing my dad taught me when I was a little kid was to say, ‘Go Dawgs, sic ‘em, woof, woof, woof!’

Doing this on Fathers Day truly means more than anything to me,” Dantzler said, his words muffled and strained. “I had and still have the best dad in the world and I know he’s going to be proud of me today.”

Welcome to the team Watts. We are glad to have you. Watts is the 12th recruit to verbally commit to playing for Georgia in 2011. USC transfer Jarvis Jones also recently chose the Bulldogs but he will count towards the 2010 class.

Here is a photo taken by Watts, that I got from a Chip Towers blog, of a bulletin board in his room (the check marks show scholarship offers).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands, Free Blogger Templates